Sunday, July 25, 2010

Here we celebrate, there we celebrate, everywhere we celebrate...

Thanks for hanging in with us gang...I've been spending all of my internet time watching the Tour de France, leaving the blog, and Erin, a little neglected. But oooh what a race it was. Those who know me have witnessed first hand how fanatical I can be. Thanks to all of you who let me take over your television this month so that I could support my addiction.

It has been a busy couple of weeks since the last post. We traveled to Oxnard to celebrate my grandpa's 85th birthday with a trip to a car museum. I enjoyed the walking around the cars and hearing grandpa's stories. When looking at the old Ford pictured below he told me that when they would visit a particular relative whose house lived on the top of a hill they had to back the car up the hill. It is fascinating to imagine the things my grandpa has seen during his time on this planet. I was happy to celebrate him.



On our way back north we stopped in at the ASI children's center to say hi to the children and have lunch with our friends that we have missed over this past month. It was great to see the kids, get some hugs and chat with the staff. It was good to see you all.

Our next stop turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable experience despite the oppressive heat of Bakersfield. The BOCPWE (Buck Owens Crystal Palace, Wendys Extravaganza) was the invention of our good friend Diana (follower #20) who introduced Erin to the Crystal Palace a few years ago and has always wanted to go to celebrate her birthday. BOCPWE involved a trip to Wendys for dinner and then to the Crystal Palace for drinks and dancing to a live band. On top of the original plan we added some Tuesday night Karaoke. Erin Sandra and Diana bravely regaled the crowd with a fabulous rendition of the Kenny Loggins hit Footloose while I acted as paparazzi.




The biggest news for our followers is the we finally have tickets for our flights. We will be leaving on August 4th, in 11 days. We will arrive in Turkey on the 5th and start our new lives. It is an exciting, adventure that we are ready to start! Retirement has treated us well, but we are ready to get this adventure started. I plan on putting in one more post before we leave so stay tuned for the final Tour of California post.

No comments:

Post a Comment