Saturday, July 17, 2010

Something we won't miss

I have never been a fan of the southern half of my beloved home state, the air is dirty and the roads are ridiculously crowded. This week was the time scheduled in our tour to head south and the stress level was definitely elevated. After 3 weeks of living out our car Erin and I had our most tense moments. We both understand that the stress of moving and traveling around the state can create tension that seeps out in funny ways. Did I really mean to snap at Erin for asking me what street I would choose as a baby name? No, I was stressed about the traffic and not really knowing where I was going in the twisted maze of LA freeways. Uprooting you life and being uncertain about your future is one of the most stressful things a person can do in their life and it is of course going to create some tension and strain on a relationship.

Thankfully we were heading south to visit friends and family that could distract us and give us a break from our crankiness. Sandra, Chris, Brian Danielle, Smelli, Annamarie and Binesh played excellent hosts and tour guides for the southern california stint of our trip.

One of Erin's highlights was a stay in a 120 year old bean factory that was converted into a La Quinta Inn in Irvine. Sure the train was feet from our room, but it wasn't that bad, we enjoyed the novelty.



We also toured some of the more famous beaches of Southern California and even met a soap opera actor who was our bartender. The beaches were beautiful and warm. I liked visiting the Wayfarer's Chapel in Palos Verdes. This is an all glass chapel designed by Lloyd Wright (Frank's son) perched on a hillside overlooking the Pacific. I thought this was a fitting place for two homeless, jobless wanderers to visit. It was meant to be a place for wayfarers to contemplate life's spiritual journey. In such a beautiful setting it was easy to feel the peace that is necessary for contemplation to set in. I enjoyed it greatly.


Finally, we traveled to Riverside, a town with a not so stellar reputation. Despite the 106 degree temps, we found the downtown area to be quite a pleasure. Truly this week showed me that although some regions can be hot, dirty or congested having friends and family can make the difference between being miserable and happiness. This Tour of California has shown what a great network of friends we have and I hope that during our travels we will all be able to keep in touch.

2 comments:

  1. I pick Figueroa for the future baby name. Lankershim if it's a girl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embarrassed to blog about your devastating losses in backyard games?! I notice the "Riverside" blurb of your blog fails to mention pool MOO or ping-pong. Find a Turkish game you like and start practicing- I would hate for Bryan and I to dominate yet again in December 2011!

    ReplyDelete