Monday, February 7, 2011

Prague, where beer flows like water.




Is there anyone still out there? I realize that of our 38 followers it is possible that we allowed so much time between posts that we lost some of you. I hope you have stayed around. If you did, thanks we love you too.

Now to update you on recent events will take several different posts and quite a bit of time so lets discuss the most recent trip to Prague first and then we can back track in time a little to catch you up.

Prague is a beautiful city. Around every corner is another centuries-old building with a tall spire and a well kept facade hinting at the beauty of what was destroyed so many times and then rebuilt. We had a fantastic time.

Here are the highlights:

On our first day out, after bundling in all of the layers we owned we ventured out to find some sights. Within 20 we got lost trying to find a change shop from our hotel. At -6 C we were both a little bit frozen by the time we did so we immediately ducked into Starbuck in Wenceslas Square to thaw a little bit. We realized that, similar to Alanya in August it was important to know when it was time to get inside. We continued our walking tour and I had my first run in with Goulash and Czech beer: yum. A great lunch and 2 beers all for about $10. Literally the beer was often either the same price or cheaper than water. The best way to counter the next few days of below freezing temps. Oh yeah and pork products too, including bacon!

We went to the Ballet at the National theater ( I know, pretty classy right). That was cool.

We went on a 6 hour tour that included a boat ride on the river and a tram ride up to the castle, but the best part was when the snow started to fall. Having rarely, if ever, seen snow falling this heavily I was so excited. The British girls and our tour guide couldn't understand why we stopped listening to the information and were making snowballs and stuff. I moved from California's Central coast to the Mediterranean coast of Turkey, snow is a novelty in my life.

With the snow came warmer weather. It seemed counter intuitive but there is a logical scientific explanation that I will withhold in fear of boring you all. Regardless it was no longer below freezing and we no longer needed to add so many layers that getting in the elevator felt like a squeeze.

Prague was a lovely city. Funny enough though the nicest person we met in Prague was a Turkish jeweler. We were in this neighbor's shop and she was playing Turkish pop music, we commented on it and she called him over to talk to us about Turkey. If he had ordered tea for us we would have felt like we were home in the Bazaar.


Of course Prague will always hold a special place in our heart as it is where we were engaged. I had it planned. We would go to a nice dinner then to the ballet and afterword we would walk out on an island that looked toward the Charles bridge all lit up at night and I would do it there, perfect...Unless after you go to dinner you go to the theater and realize that the Ballet was actually the next day...Ok no big deal tomorrow will still work... Ballet at the National theater then stroll to the spot...unless Erin is dressed in heals and nylons rather than 5 pars of pants and boots, and it is - 8 C outside. I know what it is like when she is cold and I don't want to put her through that, not the right moment. So I carried that ring around with me for another day waiting for the moment which came at a lovely little restaurant in lesser town. Everyone had cleared out of the section we were in and we were all alone. Erin, having sensed the proposal was going to happen on the trip but saw the days disappearing, was growing impatient and asked "So what's next for us?"

Hint Hint...Wink Wink...basically a message to say Hey Jackass get it together!!!

I got the ring out of my jacket got on one knee and said "I am loving the adventures we have been on and I want to share all of life's adventures with you." She started crying so I gave her a hug and sat down...then I realized I didn't actually pop any questions. Me: "I didn't actually ask you did I?..Will you marry me?"  Her:"That's ok because I didn't say yes either." Feisty. One of the many reasons I love her.

There it is, the story of our trip to Prague, without a doubt a trip that will never be forgotten.

5 comments:

  1. So excited for both of you, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you both had a lovely, romantic getaway to Prague. It's such a magical city. Even more happy for your engagement! The ring is beautiful! I was crying by the time I got to the end of the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the both of you...so very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am nearly crying Alan! So sweet! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful engagement story! I am so excited for you both, congratulations

    ReplyDelete