Sunday, December 25, 2011

Cave of the Seven Sleepers

Ok... so I'm a skeptic.  But one who LOVES a good story.  I love the shivery tingle of goose bumps I get when reading about ghosts, aliens, magic, witches... etc.  Unfortunately sometimes miracle stories fall into this category for me.  It isn't that I don't want to believe... I desperately do, but sometimes I can't.  Who knows whether these stories are fables told to children as a teaching tool, or by people experiencing hallucinations, or as accounts of actual experiences, but whether I believe or not, I love them.  Reading about them. Watching documentaries about them. VISITING THE ACTUAL SITES! OMG we are SO lucky.




According to legend, seven Christians hid in caves outside of Ephesus in 250AD, escaping persecution and execution by Roman rulers. These men fell asleep and slept for somewhere between 150 and 200 years, and awoke in a much safer era for Christians.  (Around the same time Mary and John escaped to Ephesus from Jerusalem.)  Muslims also believe in this legend, featuring a slightly different story in the Qur'an.





Alan needed a nap.  He was NOT trying to escape the grumpy persecution of his wife. 


Legend or true miracle, I love this story.

2 comments:

  1. How does one fall asleep for 100-200 years, do they have tips there might be cool to go see the future when my time is running out if I can pull off that trick. Plus the part i bet they don't tell you is they still ended up waking up tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris. It was a miracle. Or are you a skeptic too?

    ReplyDelete