Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Husband IS Handy

For many years I've dreamt of marrying a handy-man.  Someone who could fix problems around the house, and in the car, and who could make me beautiful furniture with a few tools, some old barn wood, and his bare hands.  I used to watch Ty Pennington when he was on Trading Spaces, and drool over his tooly-ness. I used to say, "I just want to be able to say 'make me a beautiful bed,' and then he'll say 'OK!' and just do it..." 

Then I met Alan.  And all of the wonderful things I love about him over shadowed the minor detail that he wasn't handy.  I decided (wisely) to marry for love, not tools.  And I don't regret it one bit. 

Especially after today.  Because today he made all my dreams come true.  Today my fantasy Handy-Husband came to life.  Sort of. 

He broke the bed. 
Don't worry Moms. It's totally not like it sounds.  I wasn't even there. He leaned back against the headboard while he was on a phone interview with the Peace Corps and it broke right off of the rest of the bed.  What can I say?  He interviews HARD. 
Where the headboard separated from the sides. These were just laying on the floor. 
Anyway... BREAKING THE BED does not equal MAKING A BED.  I know. BUT after two weeks of getting in and out of bed very carefully, and praying that it would last us until our move in two months, Alan woke up this morning and said, "I'm going to fix this bed today."

The original plan was to use hammer and nails, because we have those things, but after checking our "tool drawer," and only finding the hammer and one nail, we headed to the hardware store.  We found the cutest little drill on sale for 19 lira, and were sold on doing this the right way.
Cutest drill ever!
The next step was pulling the mattress off the bed (along with some big pieces of wood) and removing all the shoes that live under there.  I wish I thought to take a picture of that mess.  Stuff like this usually sends me into a tearful panic, but I held it together really well.  Like a rockstar. 

Alan swept the hideous mess out, while I dusted off the shoes.  SICK.
That's JUST from under the bed.  And it's the size of a dog.
Alan's shoes kicked out to the balcony. 
My shoes.  I think they had a much better time.
Then he got to work. 

Penciling...

And drilling...

He even used the built in flashlight.  Just cus it looks cool.

And now we have a bed again! One that isn't threatening to collapse every time we roll over. He practically made it himself. 

4 comments:

  1. Alan, I always knew you had it in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed throughout this entire post. Great work, Alan. And, Erin, you have a LOT of shoes over there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Danielle. Sadly most of them will stay in Turkey when we move.

      Delete