Monday, May 14, 2012

The Big Match

Saturday night was the Champion Football match in Turkey.  (Americans, football means soccer pretty much everywhere else in the world.) It's always a big deal, but with two of Turkey's most famous teams playing (Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe) things were particularly exciting around here. 

On a whim, we decided we should wear some jerseys while we watched the match, to show our "support."  The quotations in the last sentence refer to the fact that I really couldn't care less about either team, but like to be a part of the party.

Alan went with Galatasaray because he knows the team chant, I went with Fenerbahçe because I like to go up against Alan, and Sonya went with Galata because the guy who was selling the jerseys REALLY LOVES that team.

As it turns out I chose wrong. Bummer.  While the final score was actually 0-0, for some reason the Championship title went to Galatasaray.

Watching the game with people who really care was fun...

But the after party was even better...

Fans shot off team coloured fire works...


There were mobs of cheering fans marching up and down the street. My loser's jersey attracted a lot of boos, and one guy shouting in practiced English "I DON'T love Fenerbahçe!" I was really wishing for a different jersey...


The Galata Championship song was blasted all over the city...

A car parade with incessant honking and topless fans waving their jerseys like flags...

No Turkish celebration would be complete without insanely dangerous car antics, including people fully hanging out of every window, and sitting on the roof.  My heart stopped when I saw the driver of a car, whose whole family sat on the roof, climb out the window himself WHILE THE CAR WAS STILL MOVING!

This picture doesn't do justice to the crazy antics, but it captures the vibe.


At the end of the night, a guy working at one of the shops offered me a free Galata jersey in exchange for my loser one.  He was clearly taking pity on me.  I considered the offer, but decided to keep the one I had.  We'll get 'em next year, Fenerbahçe!

No comments:

Post a Comment