Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What the Heck Wednesdays: Karaoke Day

"What the Heck?! Wednesdays" focus on the heart-warming, ridiculous, and sometimes frustrating stories from our school days.  Teaching in Turkey is trying and difficult.  We come home exhausted,  and our days off are nothing short of precious. That being said, we love our students.  Most of the time. They are creative, silly, smart, obnoxious, loud, affectionate and adorable.  And they make for some delightful stories. Enjoy...

Karaoke Day.  Also known as The Best Day Ever. Not that I like karaoke. I'd rather have my teeth drilled than sing in front of people.  But my students LOVE karaoke. And I love watching them sing.  Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Bruno Mars are SOOOO much more motivating than I am.

 I am nothing short of amazed when I see them read all of the words in their favourite songs.  Or when they choose their own song and prepare for days on end at home. Or when they bust out lyrics in a different context...  

Me: (Reading) Winnie smiled at Wilber...  Do you know what "smile" means?     
3rd grader: (singing)  Just stop for a minute and Smiiiiile! (points at dimples while smiling)
Thank you for Price Tag, Jessie J. My students love it.

Yesterday was our second All English Karaoke Day, and this time my students shocked me by adding well-thought-out performances to their singing.  Oh they crack me up.

Highlights:
  • Altay solo singing Bruno Mars with the clearest most angelic voice ever. 
  • Turgut solo singing one of my favourites: Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You."
  • Alex, Yavuzhan, Efe, Oğuzhan, Umut, and Alaaddin playing air-guitar, air-piano, air-drums, air-fiddle, and air-saxiphone, during the instrumental parts of their songs. 
  • İbrahim rocking out to a Jonas Brother's song, never looking at the lyrics, and never missing a word.
  • Hazal donning a spangled, feathery, mardi gras mask for her performance.
  • Doğa and Ceren singing Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," wearing matching outfits, dancing in perfect time with the music, and belting it out with the passion of the diva who actually sings it.  
  • A few old school choices, like Derin singing "Que Sera Sera," and Kuzey and Ali Bayram singing John Denver's "Annie's Song."
  • The tiniest girl in 2nd grade singing "I'm a Big Big Girl, In a Big Big World."
  • Kazim shouting to the crowd "Stand up and dance!" and then throwing his hat out at the laughing parents. 
  • Mehmet, Doruk and Can, who refused to use a song with printed lyrics because they didn't need it, cracking-up and losing their place in the song after Doruk busted out some ridiculous impromptu dance moves.
  • Hilal makin' it rain faux money on the crowd during Alexandra Stan's "Million."
  • The way their faces glowed with pride as their parents squeezed them after their performance. 
  • The way they treated each other like real rock stars, hooting and high-fiving and giving standing ovations. 
My face hurt from smiling, my eyes burned from trying not to cry, and my heart hurt whenever I thought about saying "Goodbye."  I love these kids, and I will miss them dearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment